Tuesday, September 28, 2010

American History

Today's Word of Mouth: I'm a little late with this one, but if you're interested in checking out my writing style, here's the link to my latest review for Theater Jones. I went to DVA Production's presentation of "The Man I Love." This company is owned and artistically directed by a woman named Sheran Goodspeed Keyton. Although I didn't particularly care for the show, this woman has talent and an undeniable personality.

I recently attended WaterTower Theatre's production of Thorton Wilder's "Our Town" Told through the eyes of a stage manager, the production relies almost absolutely on the acting. There's no set and all the characters must pantomime basic acts, including running in the rain, cooking dinner, and managing an enormous milk cow. They go back to the basics of acting, and it sure "ain't" easy to play "make believe" without any props.
Also, to my surprise, I realized that alot of the actors in this show wear jeans. I did some research to figure out when this item of clothing was invented because I didn't believe Americans wore them before 1910. Alas, I was very wrong. Turns out jeans were invented in 1873 by a man named Levi Strauss. Ah, Levi. However, I was right in my pondering to wonder whether or not the costumes were relevant to the time period because according to a cast member, all the actors wear contemporary clothing so the costumes won't detract from their performance. So here's to WaterTower for taking an interesting approach. For more information about the show and the company visit WaterTower's website
-CKB

No comments:

Post a Comment