Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Little Bit of Heart and Soul

Usually I rant and rave about some kind of artistic wonder and don't worry I'll get there at some point during this specific entry, (theatre, movie, and restaurant included) but I want to ramble about something else first.

I sat in peace yesterday. I sat in a simple, wooden chair amongst peaceful people in a quiet atmosphere (Ok, I kind of embarrassed myself by forgetting I was about to enter a chapel and paused midsentence upon the realization I was supposed to be quiet. God, I know you have a sense of humor so I have no doubt you'll forgive me for describing my friend's new apartment upon entering your dwelling place yesterday. I shut up immediately I promise.) I'm not an extremely religious person, but I do have faith and it was one of the first times in probably over a year that I took a moment to just feel a spiritual presence. Sometimes when everything else around you is uncertain your faith, whatever you may believe, wraps you in a blanket and gives you a sense of solitude. I felt safe in that chapel yesterday.

So why the sudden ramble about a religious experience? Well, in case anyone has been living under a rock (Or maybe you'd just rather catch up on being a 90s kid by watching too much Full House or Boy Meets World instead of soaking yourself in nothing but negative news) the world is a scary place. A lot of times I can just sit and start thinking about other people's stories and what they're going through, how it's affecting their day-to-day life. Rebels in Libya fighting for their freedom. Young American men going off to fight wars in foreign countries after college graduation unsure of when they'll be back and what they'll feel like when they do. Teachers loosing jobs because of budget cuts. Artists fighting for money to keep their companies going after over 30 years of struggle. Mergers and foreclosures. Bankrupt corporations. Restaurants selling out to hotels when they've been around for decades. Living paycheck to paycheck. Hunting down the man who beat up your husband and invaded your home while you were sleeping with your new born baby.

Overwhelming isn't it? Yes, and so that moment of faith can really help you keep moving forward. I don't know what the future is going to bring. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't fearful, but I do know I will always have something to say and a voice to say it with.

Here's to all the bravery, all the stories of those who've stood up and had something to say. Here's to those who've told me their stories and those who have yet to have that window of opportunity to say much of anything. Bravery is hard to find these days, but somehow, as one of my favorite people says, you cannot have expectations but be hopeful instead that things will happen as they should.

Cheesy Velveeta enough for you? Good. Moving on to other things. I've got some dos and don't for you to do this weekend:

1. DON'T go to Mi Cocina, people. In all honesty it's not legit and the food isn't very good (And really over priced) The queso tasted cheap. THE END.

2. DO go see Jane Eyre. I haven't read the book (Although after seeing this film I have every intention of doing so), but the film had me hooked the entire two hours. Nothing holds my interest quite like a smart, independent woman and a seemingly "haunted" living space. The sexual tension helped a little too. (Ok, a lot. What?! I'm human! What woman wouldn't want an attractive, intelligent, commanding man no matter how stubborn and self-sufficient she may be.) There was even one point where I literally "gasped" out loud at a surprising image and plot change. And you think I'm joking. Just go see it.
http://angelikafilmcenter.com/angelika_film.asp?hID=7915&ID=24748c8.65133722728043i897.57

3. DO see Teatro Dallas' presentation of The Maiden of the Used Books. A national premiere, Maiden demonstrates the ability of comic relief. Sometimes when life gets too serious you just have to laugh. This sarcastic play pokes fun at international dictatorships, something everyone has learned about, read about, and even experienced at some point. Opening April 22. Buy tickets here: http://www.teatrodallas.org/Home/New.html
photo by Leticia Alaniz (L to R (standing) Edgar Estrada (sitting) Armando Monsivais Lydia Enriquez JP Cano (standing) Sergio Rodriguez (sitting) Marti Etheridge 

No comments:

Post a Comment