Thursday, January 27, 2011

The Long Drive Home

I'm old school when it comes to the small things, the pleasures in life that make us giggle or guffaw out loud. I like writing down notes on a clean sheet of notebook paper. I'd send you a love letter in the mail with a stamp if I thought you'd appreciate it.

I hate technology and nothing anyone can do or say would make me want to trade in sunshine, shade, and a paperback book for the dark depths of an ugly room with no sunlight and an expensive computer screen. I hate it when people pay more attention to their Blackberry than the person that's sitting right in front of them. It's all so impersonable and cold. It leaves me with a sense of emptiness and longing all that technology bullshit.

 I stick to my own old ways and ignore the contemporary when I can. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying I don't use technology. I have a Facebook, I text message other people, and obviously I have my own blog, but it's because I have to in order to keep up with the times. I have to be a well-rounded person with well-rounded skills. I'd never be able to write again if I totally tried to deny the larger than life evolution that is technology and internet. But I still prefer staring into the face of another person when I'm talking to them to see their reactions to certain words. I'd rather kiss you than text you, and nothing makes me feel more warm and fuzzy inside than that blank sheet of notebook paper and a pretty pen. Again, I'm old school, which brings me back to my original thought about the simple pleasures in life.

 I took the long way home today. I drove for no reason at all. I had my window down with the heat on. The strange combination of the cold wind blowing in from outside and the warm air from my car's interior made me feel safe. There's just something about being in my car that creates this pensive mood. Songs on the radio evoke all sorts of feelings and thoughts. I start thinking about my past, the one that got away, the one that should've never let me go, my favorite quotes, my future, my goals. My car is the epitome of a thinking tank. It's a safe haven.

And today my safe haven gave me a much needed moment to myself. We're all always running around without ever really taking a moment to enjoy the simple things in life. We get to a point where we have to tell ourselves to slow down and just take a breath. So here's my breath and my reminder. Here is everyone's reminder to remember what makes you happy and soak it in as much as you can. Find your simple, old school pleasure and embrace it.

Maybe I'll take the long way home more often.

No comments:

Post a Comment